Your deck is the perfect place to enjoy the warm weather with friends and loved ones.
The North American Deck and Railing Association (NADRA) is dedicated to increasing public awareness of the necessity for regular inspection and maintenance of existing decks and proper installation of new decks. For full article visit the NADRA site:www.nadra.org/DSM_checklist2008.pdf
Split or Decaying Wood
• Check several different areas of the deck to be sure the wood is still sound. This includes the ledger board (where the deck attaches to the house and a common source of deck failure), support posts and joists under the deck (if you can reach them), deck boards, railings and stairs.
• Pay special attention to any areas that tend to remain damp or are in contact with fasteners. Use a tool like an ice pick or a screwdriver to penetrate the wood surface. If you can easily penetrate 1/4—1/2 inch, break off a sliver of wood without splinters, or the wood is soft and spongy, decay may be present.
• This is also a good time to look for small holes in the wood, which may indicate insects.
• Check any railings or handrails to be sure they are firmly held in place; check also the risers and stringers to be certain they are securely attached and not decayed.
• If the area behind the stair treads is open, this opening should be no more than 4″ high.
• Also, always keep stair pathways clear of planters, décor, toys and other items that can present a tripping hazard.
Cleaning and Maintenance
• Clean away any leaves and debris, since these can be slippery and promote mildew.
• If mildew is present or the deck coating has worn away, make time to clean and apply a new waterproofing coating. It can help prevent the split, decayed wood and loosened fasteners mentioned earlier.
The Bremner Group at Coldwell Banker
ABR, CDPE, eAgent, CSP, SFR, HRC, CRE
(O) 310-571-1364 DIRECT
(D) (310) 800-2954
Accredited Buyer Representative | Certified Distressed Property Expert | Pre-Foreclosure Specialist Certified
I want you to know that I appreciate any referrals from friends and associates who may be in the market to buy or sell real estate. You can count on me giving them the same high-quality service I provide to all of my clients.