The Expo Light Rail Line extension from Culver City to Santa Monica is scheduled to start train testing activities the week of April 6, 2015 and continue for several months. Initially the trains will be pulled along the rail corridor, and then operated on their own power. Testing will first take place in the eastern portion of the project and will later proceed across the entire alignment. The testing activity will test train clearances, the Overhead Catenary System which powers the trains, the crossing gates and traffic signals, and all related systems before the project is turned over to Metro for pre-revenue operations.
What: Train Testing Activities
When: Starting the week of April 6, 2015
Where: Along the light rail alignment between Venice Boulevard and Military Avenue
Hours: Between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday
What to Expect:
- Preliminary testing activities will take place intermittently for approximately 3 weeks before the crossing gates are activated. During this time, testing may result in brief interruptions of street traffic as trains cross the intersections assisted by flaggers.
- Once the crossing gates are operational, testing will continue on a more regular schedule.
- The train’s audible devices may be used during testing activities.
- Throughout the testing period, safety personnel will be available at the crossings to assist
- As testing proceeds along the alignment, supplemental notices will be issued.
- Please obey all warning signs and traffic signals when crossing the tracks.
- Always look both ways before crossing any street.
- Never walk on railroad tracks.
- Watch for trains from both directions.
- Use the crosswalks.
- Do not jaywalk across the tracks.